Friday, October 2, 2009

Mom Update

So I want to give you a little update on my mom.
She's doing great. Wednesday she had one of her last surgeries. This one was for the reconstruction of her breast. She now has a matching (and perky) pair of boobs. And all just in time for her 65th birthday! which is next week.
I was a little surprised at the fact that the hospitals are now doing outpatient surgeries for things like this. She went in for surgery in the morning and was home by late afternoon. Seriously?! They don't want to keep people in the hospital anymore? I mean, I guess recovering at home would definitely be better than in a hospital. I just find it fascinating that most surgeries have become outpatient. My gallbladder surgery years ago was supposed to be outpatient, but because of complications I was in the hospital for a week, where as my grandmother had the same lapriscopic (sp?) surgery and she was out of the hospital the same day. It just boggles my mind.
Well, in any case, I spent a good portion of the afternoon yesterday hanging out with my mom at home watching a couple movies. Have you seen Calendar Girls or Mrs. Henderson Presents? They were really fun. Mom and I were laughing hysterically. It's always nice to find a movie that puts you in good spirits. And that's what my mom needs most. She has a little discomfort from the dressings, but I believe she gets those off on Tuesday at her follow up appointment.

Team Challenge Update:

So I've kind of got another mentee. Caitlyn ran the Napa half with me last year and she's doing the race with me this year, but she's gotten discouraged with her fundraising. Being the awesome person that I am, I have decided to take her on as a "fundraising mentee." She doesn't really need my help with running and stuff as she is definitely a RUNNER in the true sense of the word. I think she said she has a goal to finish the half in 1:30 or 1:45. Crazy!
But since I seem to be doing really well with fundraising, she has asked that I help her with some ideas. I couldn't say no. :)
Last night we went out to dinner at TGIFriday's in La Jolla. It turned out to be an awesome brainstorm session. This guy came up to our table after we were done eating and started chatting with us. Turns out he's a magician and had a plan for Caitlyn's fundraising dilema. He showed us some magic (which totally drove us crazy in trying to figure out) and said that if we can get a venue and get a lot of people to show up, he'll do a show and let us keep the profits. 100% of the money! WOW! How awesome is that?! So now Caitlyn has to get herself a location like a community center room or ballroom. Once we get that, then I'll make her a flyer, we'll distribute it, and hopefully she'll be able to raise at least another $1000. I think it will totally work out as long as Caitlyn puts forth the effort to find a place (hopefully a donated place). Then the rest is easy enough to make happen. So if anyone knows of a place that would be willing to donate the space and get advertised on a flyer, PLEASE let me know!!

Next on my list: To help my mentee family with a big fundraiser. Hopefully we can sit down tomorrow after training and do some brainstorming.

No comments:

Post a Comment