Wednesday, September 30, 2009

5 miles and still going strong!

Wow. Training over the weekend was intense. Saturday's group run was at Miramar Lake, not too far from home. We worked on distance this weekend, rather than speed. 5 miles! Woo hoo! That is the farthest distance so far this training season. And it's just going to get longer. I think next week we'll be increasing it another 1 or 2 miles.
I did the lake in about an hour and fifteen. Not too bad. I have a personal goal to work on. I want to try and get 5 miles done in one hour. I know it's possible, but it's going to take a little work. Saturday trainings I focus more on the needs of my mentees rather than my own, so I have to do some distance training during the week. And this past Saturday I did all walking. There was no running involved. Instead I worked with one of my mentees on speed. She's a fast walker, but I think it helps to have her long legs. :) So to walk 1:15, I think if I were to add in some running intervals, doing 5 in 1:00 is definitely possible.

Last Wednesday at group training, I didn't have any mentees with me. I was by my lonesome. No walkers. So the coaches had me work on speed. I did 40 minutes at a fairly steady fast pace and felt great! Since I had told Coach Dave that I wanted to try running a little, he is having me work on a 4/1 interval to see how my lungs and I can handle that. 4 minutes walking, 1 minute running. It's doable. :)
Zoe came with me again. Coach Dave LOVES having her run with him and I can say that Zoe absolutely loved it too! She was a happy and tired dog.

Tonight's group run is in Balboa Park. So far most of my mentees are planning on being there. We're doing TEMPO training tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment