Thursday, March 15, 2012

Butterflies for Jennie

Last year we had one of the most interesting and amazing fundraisers for Relay. Butterflies. Yes, I said butterflies. Our event teamed up with a butterfly farm where we purchased butterflies to be released during opening ceremonies instead of the usual white doves. It was a great idea. Granted the weather was overcast and chilly, so it didn't go off as hoped, but that was okay. They butterflies just hung around a while before they warmed up enough to take flight. It was beautiful.

My friend, Jennie, is an amazing person. Having been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer, at such a young age, she lives life to its fullest. I am astounded daily by her strength and courage to take on each day at full strength even when she is at her weakest most vulnerable state.
I purchased a butterfly for her last year.

It was truly a wondrous experience to open an envelope and have a butterfly emerge from it. A Painted Lady. A beautiful creature, just like my friend.


And I plan to repeat this. Again and again.

This year, my hope is to get the support of all my friends who know Jennie (even those who don't) and get a kaleidoscope of butterflies to release in her honor. I think it would be such a magnificent sight to see these butterflies fly free, spreading Jennie's spirit all around San Diego.

If you would like to donate $6 in honor of Jennie or your loved one, please visit my fundraising page.
http://main.acsevents.org/goto/deborahderr

Deadline for the butterfly order is April 7th. I hope that you will join me in not only honoring my friend, but the fight against this horrible thing we call cancer.




 

1 comment:

  1. You are such an AMAZING team captain :) I can now fully appreciate all you do for Relay! Count me in for a couple butterflies :) I'll get you the $$ next week!

    ReplyDelete