Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Starting Over

2012 has been off to a rough start. I caught a cold which left me feeling crappy for the first few days of the year. Luckily I recovered fairly fast, just in time to spend a couple days up in Anaheim at Disneyland with my good friend, S. She's a teacher and rarely gets a chance to get up there, so we took full advantage of her time off.
S and me in our Stitch beanies
In the two days that we were up there, we walked a ton! Good exercise. My feet were screaming at me by the end of the 2nd day. I actually came home and soaked them in hot water. 

Not much exercise has been done since I injured my ankle last year, so even just walking for 2 days, I feel out of shape. I applaud all the women who walk in the 3-day, granted they train for it, but still, my feet hurt after 2 days, imagine 3... I had an MRI done of both ankles and it turned out that I severed a ligament completely in my right ankle. Doc said no running or soccer for at least a year. It's been quite boring these past 9 months. I tried going to the gym and using the bike and treadmill, but it's just not the same as being out doors. I've been working on strengthening the ankle so I can walk my dog for a few miles during the week. I feel like it's getting much stronger, but I won't know for sure unless I try out running. 3 months to go! The countdown begins. Until then, I'll continue to work on strengthening the rest of my body. My muscles atrophied and I need to build them up again.

Relay for Life has started up again. I've registered our team and we just had the first Team Captain's meeting tonight. Our theme this year is Hollywood. So many different ideas come to mind, but I need to bounce them off my teammates and get their input. My goal is to raise $3500 this year. Last year we raised just over $33K so I know that this is a goal we can achieve. We have an earlier start at fundraising and team member recruitment. Ideally, I'd like 12 teammate so no one has to walk more than 2 hours (of course they can walk more if they want!). So if you want to join in on the fight against cancer, please let me know. I'd be happy to have you join our Purple Cancer Eaters team. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment