Monday, April 30, 2012

Motivation Needed

So it's been a while since I've actually entered a gym. I know. Why pay for a gym membership if you don't use it? I can picture myself using it on a regular basis, but never really get around to it. It's like the motivation for gym use comes in spurts. When I get the urge to go, I'll actually do it. Regularly. But when the motivation is lacking, it is lacking. I think mainly in part because the use of weight machines leaves something to be desired. I know that using them will definitely help in gaining my strength and muscles back, but if I don't know how to use it, then I probably won't go out of my way to ask someone for help. I'd rather stick to the cardio equipment.

The idea of getting a personal trainer would be awesome. Unfortunately, it's not monetarily friendly. Especially if you need a trainer more than once a week. I've looked into a trainer at my gym, but right now, I can't budget it in. So I've found other ways to get the strength training in. I've got my kettlebells at home, which I still need to upgrade to a heavier weight.

It's funny how if you don't show up at the gym regularly, and the people that work there don't know you on a first name basis, they just assume you're new and try and talk you into meeting with a personal trainer. I think I've been going to this gym for at least 6 years, off and on, and there's always someone who stops me and tries to set me up with one of their PTs. Thanks, but no. If I need one, I'll contact you.

So today, I decided that I need to listen to the doctor and actually go to the gym and use the treadmill and/or stationary bike for at least 40 mins. I'm hoping this recent burst of motivation will continue for a while. I've been maintaining my weight for some time now, but not losing. He mentioned that at my current state, I need to focus more on aerobic/cardio. Walking the neighborhood with Zoe just isn't cutting it anymore. Apparently I'll get a better workout at the gym on a treadmill with a steady pace, then I would if I walked Zoe for the same amount of time. I can see that. Zoe stops me regularly to pee, so I wouldn't have the workout pauses.
I did pretty well today. 30 on the treadmill and 40 on the bike. I'm so glad I have some great workout music, otherwise it would have been a very boring hour. They have TVs, but not all the earphone jacks on the equipment work, so it's one of those trial and error and knowing which machine to stay away from. With my little iPod shuffle, I don't have to worry. Best investment I made years ago.

I came home starving. Made some food and then took Zoe out for a walk. She always looks so sad when I leave the house and don't take her with me. Especially when I have my workout clothes on. This dog seriously knows if I am going to workout. It's like she can sense it and gets super excited as soon as I pull out my sneakers. Smart dog, that Zoe.

Tomorrow is another day. Hoping to wake up with that motivation. Either way, at least Zoe gets her walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment