Tuesday, April 17, 2012

First Place Feels Good

On Sunday, my mom and I went to an event for our Relay called A Survivor Soiree. This was a free event honoring survivors and their caretakers. My dad didn't want to go. He felt it was too much of a female thing and didn't want to bother getting dressed up. I, on the other hand, always look for an excuse to wear a pretty dress. My NYE dress needed another opportunity to be worn. :)
They had a fashion show (Project Relay) and all the models were either cancer survivors, caretakers, or relay participants. It was really sweet. The dresses and suits they wore were amazing.
There were also dancers from a local ballroom dancing school. They called it Dancing with the Survivors. After the professionals did their show, all the survivors in the room congregated on the dance floor and the rest of us were able to dance with them. My mom LOVES to dance and danced with one of the professionals. It was so cute to see her out there twirling in her dress.
The event also had a silent raffle. My mom scored. She won 2 of the prizes. She went home super happy.
This was the 3rd year our relay committee put this on. It was so amazing and inspiring, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they come up with next year.

My lovely mom and I at the soiree

 Relay is 31 days away. I can't believe how fast the calendar is moving. Time is seriously flying.

My team has had 2 successful fundraisers, raising a total of $58.67. Though it doesn't seem like a lot, for fundraisers at eateries, it's actually not too bad. Besides, every little bit helps; even the 67 cents.

I had a Team Captain meeting tonight. It turns out that I am the top individual fundraiser ($857) and our team is in 2nd place ($1919). How exciting is that?! I feel truly blessed to have such an amazing and supportive group of friends. Thank you all!! I've almost reached my goal. Let's keep it up!

If you haven't donated and would like to in honor or memory of your loved one, I would greatly appreciate your support. Head over to my fundraising page and donate what you can. Every little bit helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment