Friday, May 2, 2008

Renewed Motivation

Wow. I can't believe it has been almost an entire month since I last wrote. My whole plan with this blog was to update you at least once a week and I seem to have fallen short of that. So sorry. I'm going to try and not do that now. But let me update you on what's happened the past few weeks.

I got a phone call from one of my friends asking if their band could play a show at my house since they hadn't booked anything for the month of April. I had no problem with that. I enjoy playing host to a party anyways. I don't know why. Hmm.
Anyways, I got to thinking that this would be the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the situation and use it to my benefit - and when I mean my benefit, I really mean the benefit for Team Challenge. I turned it into a small benefit concert for CCFA. I found another band, sent emails to all my friends, and thus became my first "real" fundraiser for this half marathon.
There was a really nice turn out. People jammed out with the band, while others drank. And the more people drank, the more we got them to donate so it really worked out in my favor. I was able to raise $315 dollars! Wow. I couldn't believe it! That was so awesome. I love my friends. That put me $315 closer to my goal. And since I've been feeling like my fundraising has become stagnant, this was a great motivational boost. The only thing that sucks is that the numbers don't show online until the national chapter in NY enters the info and that could take a few weeks. But at least I know that I'm that much closer to $3500.

Then Passover came. I never feel like I eat well during Passover. I mean, I know I do, but because we're limited to certain foods, after a while, matzah just doesn't do it for me. April 19th there was a clinic up in Carlsbad at this place called Velocity. It's like an endurance training facility. I ended up over-sleeping and got there late after hauling ass up to Carlsbad. Got a good work out but I hate that my asthma slows me down. I don't think the albeuteral is working anymore. But more on that later.
I raced home afterwards to get ready for the evening Passover seder. It turned out nice.

Last week I went on vacation to NYC to visit one of my best friends. She's a dog walker so I knew I'd be getting a bunch of exercise with her. I had full intentions to do my workouts while I was there, but I'll admit, I got lazy. Though I DID go jogging in Central Park and Kevin Bacon almost ran into me. He was jumping over some barrier going the opposite direction and landed in my vicinity. Totally didn't see that coming. I was close enough to touch him. My friend really wanted to give him a "high 5" but chickened out. He was trying to be incognito with his baseball cap, but he's so recognizable that it's hard not to know who he is.
I had intentions to go back into the park and jog but dog walking with Jesi tired me out. I don't know how she does it. My feet were killing me. On the plus size, I got LOTS of cross training done.

Now that I'm back home I plan on sticking to my guns and really get out there and run a little more every day. I have to get a better time or at least try and keep a consistent pace. I saw a doctor today that I'm hoping can help with the asthma. He's having me take a new inhaler that's compatible with the one I have now. But he's hoping that I won't have to take it. This new one is some kind of steroid inhaler that's supposed to make breathing a bit easier. 2 puffs, 2x day. It's supposed to start to show some results within 2 - 3 days. Today is #1. Maybe I might get lucky and it'll make tomorrow's run easier.

Tomorrow we have long run in La Jolla Shores followed by a big potluck picnic for us and our honored guests. Unfortunately both my parents have prior engagements. I was hoping at least one would show up. Oh well. I've got my teammates to entertain me anyways. :o)

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes --- sooner than later I hope!

OH! I'll have to put pictures from the concert up. Maybe this weekend. Look for them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment