Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mother/Daughter Day

That's exactly what today was; mother/daughter day. It started as early as 8:30am and ended around 4:30ish. I was originally just expecting to spend a couple hours with her since she signed us up to take this "Make your own Haggadah" class. But then the class ran late so there was no time to take me home before her next event - brunch with her BCO (breast cancer.org) friends. They meet once a month and celebrate their lives and help each other through tough times when needed. Before I even got there, I felt like I would be intruding on their special time, but I was warmly greeting with smiles and hugs. These ladies are a riot! It was a lot of fun chatting with them. They are all older (50+) and have such amazing spirits. One woman has been a survivor for 15 years! My mom is one of the babies. She's on her 4th year of survival. So proud of her and I'm so happy that she found some amazing ladies to relate to and keep her thriving.

For those of you that don't know, my mom is in her late 60s and LOVES technology. And I mean LOVE. When something new comes out, she wants it and usually gets it. Of course, she doesn't get it right away and saves up for it. But she'll get it. Last night I was given her old iPad since she got the iPad mini. And before that, she gave me her 1st Kindle after she got a new one. I'm not complaining. I love technology but my mom is like a technology whore. And she knows it. We laugh about it. It's one of the many things I love about my mom. I love that she can laugh at herself and the silly things she does. A good sense of humor goes a long way.

All in all, we didn't go out and do a lot, but the quality time we spent together meant a lot.

What do you do with your mom?

Mom and me (3 months) in West Orange, NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment