Saturday, July 11, 2009

Holistic Medicine

Yesterday I decided to take a chance and go see my mom's acupuncturist. My mom goes for help while she has her chemo. Dr. Wang gets rid of any nausia and keeps her healthy (as can be). I took her there a couple weeks ago and talked to the doctor briefly. She said she could help me with my asthma. So I figured I might as well try. If it helps me run better and makes me healthier, I'm willing to try it.
I was a little apprehensive at first, but I got over the fact that needles were going to be stuck all over my body. It actually wasn't that bad. The nice thing about Dr Wang is that she's not just an acupuncturist. She actually has a PHD and then she studied acupuncture. So I feel very comfortable with her.
It was kind of weird at first seeing the needles protruding from different areas on my body, but I got over it quickly and took a nap. I don't feel immediate results, but I did feel very relaxed. She gave me some herbal tea to drink over the next 6 days. They are the strangest looking herbs, but they have a nice smell. I'm supposed to let them soak in water for 1hr and then boil for 5 min. Interesting.
I told her that I'm running the half marathon in December and so she has this goal to make me better or close to, within the next 21 weeks. Though that does mean I get to be a regular patient - like 4 times a week. But if it helps, then so be it. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment